Enzyme Medical Use Activity
- Show the movie “Lorenzo’s Oil.”
- After a discussion of the movie, have the students answer the following questions. Alternatively, I show only 1/4 of the movie at a time, discuss, and have the students answer the questions pertaining to that day.
- What is the full name of this disease? Why is it a degenerative disease?
- List some symptoms of ALD. What is the definitive sign?
- Explain the effect living in the Comoros Islands had on this disease.
- Explain and diagram why ALD usually only affects males.
- Using a punnett square, explain how Michaela’s mother has to be an ALD carrier.
- Why didn’t the first diet therapy work?
- In the second diet therapy, why did they decide to use oleic acid?
- How did the third diet therapy affect Lorenzo’s blood fat level?
- Why was erucic acid more effective than oleic acid in lowering Lorenzo’s blood fat level?
- What is Lorenzo’s Oil made from?
- At this time, is there any way to reverse the effects of ALD? Why?