Sample Review Questions
- According to the Periodic Table, which elements are considered to be metalloids? What properties of metalloids distinguish them from metals and non-metals?
- What trends do you notice in electronegativity as you go across a period? What about down a group?
- Identify the bond type for each of the following as either non-polar covalent, polar covalent, or ionic.
- a. HF
- b. F
- c. CaCl2
- d. CaS
- How does the valence structure of oxygen predict that the formula of water is H2O?
- Sketch the distribution of sodium and potassium ions in a muscle cell before and during depolarization.
- Sketch a taste receptor cell. Indicate and explain what events occur when an umami factor is tasted.
- Sketch the alpha decay of 238U.
- How is barium used in medical diagnostics?
- How did Suzanne Simard prove that the trees in a forest are somehow linked?
- Fill in the following chart.
Symbol Ca P Ion Charge +2 -3 Number of protons 19 Number of electrons 18 36 Number of neutrons 21 16 45 Atomic number 34 Mass number 40